“Saturdays are for play in the kitchen!”
When we are not out-and-about doing a Whole Foods shop or buzzing about town after a long run, there is nothing better than cooking on a beautiful Saturday afternoon.
Today we made one of our favourite vegan dishes (and gluten free), “Killer Cuke Salad”. We are delighted to share our recipe with you. It is light and tangy, with just the right amount of spice. We hope you enjoy! Oh…and it is uber healthy!
- Two large English cucumbers
- One fennel bulb
- One large firm Heirloom tomato
- One handful fresh cilantro
- One half red onion
- 1/8th cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/8th cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3rd cup olive oil
- Juice from one Naval orange
- Salt and pepper to taste
Putting It All Together Advice:
- It is important to chill your vegetables in the refrigerator for about an hour prior to picking up your knife.
- Cut cucumbers lengthways in half and use a mandolin to slice (on the thickest setting).
- The fennel bulb is also easy to slice using the mandolin. However, be careful! Many folks have lost the tip of a finger with that tool!
- The secret to the dressings the Naval orange. I have also used a Sumo orange with mixed results (too sweet).
As with any salad, there are a million alternatives to consider as you put together your grocery list. I love to use a cup of cherry tomatoes sliced in half. Not only are they delish, they also pack a nutritional punch (B-6, Vitamin A, etc.). We have also used celery on occasion. There are no limits!
If you loved our “Killer Cuke Salad” idea, be sure to check out the “Vegan Chulo Chili” video!